Pinworms are the most common parasite in human intestines in the US. There are medications to treat pinworms that can be purchased over the counter, but natural home remedies for pinworms are just as effective. You can use these home remedies in place of the medication or in addition to the medication in order to ensure that your family’s intestines are all healthy and that that nobody gets pinworms again after they clear up. Children are particularly susceptible to this infection because they often don’t wash their hands enough and tend to share a lot of things with their peers. Yet, the children can easily spread the pinworms to everyone in the home and to their classmates and friends.
The pinworms themselves are tiny white worms that live in the intestines and lay their eggs in the folds around the anus, usually at night. The eggs can then come into contact with all sorts of items and can be easily ingested and spread to others. For this reason, if one person in the home gets pinworms, the whole household needs to be treated, and any schools or daycares must be informed.
They look like this, but much smaller (magnified image):
If you have pinworms, you may or may not have symptoms. Sometimes, people have this parasite infection without even realizing that they do. Yet, there are many cases where there will be symptoms, and your first indication that you have them might be in an itching or burning around the anus. This is from the worms crawling out of the intestines to lay their eggs around the anus. If your child complains of such symptoms, particularly at night, you will want to check this area to see if you can see the small white worms. Yet, you might not be able to see them. In some cases, there may be a rash around the anus, and in others, you may find pinworms in the stool of yourself or your child.
Tips to Prevent Reinfection of Pinworms
The first thing to do when you discover that someone in your family has pinworms is to treat the infection with pinworms home remedies. The next thing is to ensure that nobody gets reinfected with the pinworms, because this is very common. To prevent this from happening, do the following:
- Wash all bedding and clothing in hot water.
- Ensure that everyone washes their hands regularly.
- Vacuum/Mop the floors.
- Clip everyone’s nails and do not allow nail biting or thumb sucking.
- Change underwear regularly.
- Use the following home pinworm treatments that tell you how to get rid of pinworms and prevent reinfection at the same time.
1 Coconut Oil in Home Remedies for Pinworms
Coconut oil is an excellent home remedy ingredient for multiple afflictions. It has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-parasitic properties that can clear up pink eye, get rid of a yeast infection, kill lice, and work as an effective pinworm treatment, too. As a topical treatment, it also works for getting rid of dandruff and encouraging healthy skin. For this reason, it will also help with soothing the itching and burning that pinworms can cause. It is thick and makes it difficult for the parasites to move and breed. Use the following instructions to use coconut oil in pinworm home remedies.
You will need…
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Clean washcloth
- Soap and water
- Each morning, swallow 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Each evening, use a clean washcloth to apply 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the external area around your anus.
- After applying the coconut oil externally, wash the cloth in hot water and wash your hands very well, even if you don’t think your hands came in contact with your skin.
2 Raw Garlic in Home Remedies for Pinworms
Garlic is an effective home remedy for pinworms because it kills the eggs and stops the females from laying eggs. Like coconut oil, it can also help as a salve when applied externally to the anal area. Eating garlic is a good way to help make your intestines an unfriendly environment for pinworms, because they do not like garlic and it disables the worms and prevents them from thriving. You can add garlic to all kinds of foods, and use the following instructions to create an external garlic paste salve.
You will need…
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of petroleum jelly
- Clean cotton swabs
- Chop up 3 cloves of garlic.
- Grind the chopped garlic into a paste.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of petroleum jelly and mix well.
- Use cotton swabs to apply the mixture to your anal area.
- Repeat each night until the pinworms are gone.
3 Grapefruit Seed Extract in Home Remedies for Pinworms
Grapefruit seed extract is a well known natural ingredient for cleansing your digestive system and protecting your body against parasites. It is a natural antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic ingredient. The one downside of this treatment is that some people actually cough up the pinworms, often still living, which can be quite scary. It is because the grapefruit seed extract makes it very difficult for the pinworms to live and reproduce in your intestines. Yet, if you use other home remedies for pinworms, then use this in addition, you are less likely to experience this unpleasant side effect. It will help you to avoid reinfection once the pinworms in your intestines are killed. Use these instructions to incorporate grapefruit seed extract into your pinworms home remedies.
You will need…
- 10 drops of liquid grapefruit seed extract
- 1 cup of water
- Put 10 drops of liquid grapefruit seed extract into 1 cup of water.
- Stir the mixture to dissolve the extract.
- Drink the whole cup of water.
- Repeat 3 times each day.
4 Pumpkin Seeds & Aloe Vera in Home Remedies for Pinworms
Pumpkin seeds do not actually kill pinworms, but they do paralyze them and make them incapable of holding onto the walls of your intestines. It works because the pumpkin seeds are rich in a compound called cucurbitin, and this is a paralytic compound for parasites like pinworms. Of course, it is temporary, and the pinworms will recover. Before this happens, you want to use a natural laxative to ensure that you are able to pass the pinworms while they are unable to move or hold on. This is where the aloe vera comes in. Aloe vera is also used in IBS remedies for the same reason, and is one of the best natural laxatives that you can find. This recipe also includes yogurt because of the high level of probiotics that keep your gut healthy. Use the following instructions to create a pumpkin seed and aloe vera home pinworm treatment that will work.
You will need…
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- Blender & Bowl
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of aloe vera juice
- Blend 1 cup of pumpkin seeds and 1 cup of yogurt in blender to create smooth paste. Add more yogurt as needed to create the paste.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and add honey or sugar to taste (optional).
- Eat the whole bowl of pumpkin seed yogurt on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Wait one hour.
- Add ½ cup of aloe vera juice to 1 cup of water and drink.
Let us know in the comments which home remedies for pinworms work best for your family.